Sunday, April 26, 2009

Broken? Breaking? Who can tell?

Recently, someone I know asked if hearts can break only a certain number of times. Then the person just goes into hiding to something. This got me thinking, a lot. So here's my take on it (and get ready for what seems to be a stupid comparison, but trust me for a second):

Hearts are not like plates or drinking glasses. If you drop a plate in the sink, knock it off the counter, whatever, it breaks. It hits the floor, makes a loud noise and breaks into a hundred pieces. You sweep it up, throw it away, and get another. Hearts aren't like that. Hearts heal, every second of every day. Sometimes they only heal enough to break again, even if it is only one minute or one second later. And the breaking feels like dying. And if the breaking happens over and over again in a short space of time, it feels like dying just that much more. In one conversation, we can have our hearts broken more times than in months. Believe me, I have felt like I was dying from this more times than I care to count.

But the only reason we can keep going forward, keep looking for the person who won't make us feel that way, is that we DO heal. I don't think that we even know it sometimes. Sometimes we can take a look at our heart and be convinced that there is nothing there, that it is broken into those hundred pieces, only to be surprised that it can be broken again. I think sometimes it takes that breaking to remind us that it can be whole again. No one can just go get a new heart, and they shouldn't have to. The hearts we have are amazing, and we need to be able to share them with someone who cares as much about it as we do.

I hope there is that person out there for everyone who reads this. I hope to find that person for myself. I hope to be that person for someone else. No one's heart can be swept up, thrown away and replaced. And if we can have the chance to open our hearts to another person, sure, they can break it again. But they can also take that opportunity to show us just how great two hearts together can be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home